Thursday, September 28, 2017

Blue and White Striped Tote - Improvised!

I've always loved making bags.  I've made many different kinds of bags over the years, most of them given as gifts.  They are my favorite thing to make because you don't have to fit them to anybody's body.  One size fits all!

I've been needing a tote bag for months now - you know the kind of bag you are always reaching for to carry books, a sweater for an evening that might turn chilly, or perhaps a knitting project in process.  All of the totes around the house always feel too big or not quite nice enough.  So, I finally made one!


I decided not to use a pattern, but rather just begin with some basic measurements and see what would happen.  Sometimes I love the freedom of sewing that way!  In the beginning, I cut the fabric so that the stripes would go horizontally across the bag.  But, once it was cut and I sewed up the sides, I realized that it was too deep and not wide enough.  Instead of starting over, I just ripped out one of the sides and turned it so that the opening would be wide and the bag not so deep.  It turned out to be the perfect size.


And the direction of the fabric changed from horizontal to vertical - unexpected, but fun!  I used a heavy cotton for the lining.  The neutral tan color goes perfect with the blue and white.  I cut the lining the same size as the outer fabric.  I sewed up three sides on both the lining and outside fabric.

I wasn't sure how I was going to finish off the bag since I had sewn all three sides up and realized I hadn't left a gap in the lining for turning the bag.  So, I put the lining inside and folded it over twice toward the outside.  I liked the look, so I just top-stitched all the way around.  This made it so easy to finish and added some interest to the overall look of the bag.  When your are improvising, nothing is a mistake, it's an opportunity to try something different.  The finished size of the the bag is 18 x 11 x 5 inches.


I used the same heavy cotton for the straps and cut them about 25 inches long and 4 inches wide.  I folded the sides in 1/2 inch and then again for a finished width of 1 1/2 inches after stitching up both edges.  Usually I tuck the straps in between the lining and the outside.  I had to think of another way since I had folded the top edge over.  So, I just stitched them to the outside of the bag using the square and "x" top stitching pattern for extra strength.

 I've already used the bag a few times and I'm really happy with the size and sturdiness.



Now everyone, go improvise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments on this post